At MCDS, we believe it’s important to integrate technology thoughtfully, intentionally, and in a balanced way. We integrate technology with specific learning goals in mind, as opposed to putting it to use simply because it’s available. While we do believe it’s important to prepare our students for the world of tomorrow–a world in which using digital technology seems fairly certain–we also believe in finding balance by “unplugging.” We support our students in developing healthy, functional relationships with technology by also practicing mindful awareness of self and surroundings, and teaching critical thinking skills.
Tech instruction integrates a blend of the following curricular areas:
- Computer science, coding, and physical computing
- Digital citizenship and mindfulness around personal tech habits
- Media literacy and effective search
- Digital portfolios for personal reflection and academic development
- Digital tools to support other curricular areas like literacy, math, science, research, art, and more
In the Lower School, we have one iPad for every two kindergarteners; 1:1 iPads in 1st and 2nd grades; and 1:1 Chromebooks with cart-based access to iPads in 3rd and 4th grades.
Below are images of two documents that help overview our tech philosophy and provide tips for carrying this over into the home. You can find the fully-resourced documents here and here to accompany what’s below.