The focus for the tech portion of 7th grade SEL shifts from cell phones to the broader, more abstract concept of the media. Like in our first 6th grade session, we started with the questions “What makes technology tricky?” and “What makes it different from other things in our lives?” We also looked at some of the features of CW’s GoGuardian dashboard:
- top websites visited by the whole school, or a particular grade
- most flagged students (names redacted when displayed during class)
- a full timeline of any student’s full web history
- top videos
- a full list of any student’s google searches or videos watch
- a graphical view of how much time a student spends editing docs vs visiting specific websites vs searching the web vs watching YouTube vs flagged activity
We talked about how you will be invited to reflect on your own web usage trends at different points throughout the year, and what you can do in the meantime if you have questions or would like to request your own data. We also talked about the huge amount of misinformation and/or upsetting content available on the web, and the importance of identifying a trusted adult as your main resource for questions on growing up, friendships, drugs, alcohol, sex, and so forth. You guys are the first group of adolescents to go through this time in your life and also have so much access to digital technology. That’s a huge responsibility– we all need to take care to address that, to help you grow into your very best self.
Next week you’ll have an SEL session with Darlene. The week after that (Friday, September 29), we’ll be back together as a whole group of 40 students in the PA. You will be asked to jot notes and sketches that help explain your own relationship with technology and your “digital life” (or lack thereof). To help you prepare for the 9/29 session, be thinking about some of the following questions:
- What’s on your Spotify playlist? What popular playlists do you like to follow? (If you don’t use Spotify, talk about your relationship with music, digital or not.)
- Do you understand all the lyrics/meanings behind the songs you listen to?
- Do you want to be famous? (If so, famous for what?)
- Should there be different tech rules for adults vs kids?
- Who are your favorite YouTube stars right now?
- What’s the latest thing you’ve heard about FAKE NEWS?
- Do you feel pressure to look or act a certain way because of what you see online?
- Which 3 celebrities grate on your nerves the most and why?
- Seen anything funny on the web lately?
- Do you like to document your life? Do you WANT a record of your life?
- Who are your role models that you see in the media?
- What’s the coolest thing with tech right now for a 7th grader?
- What’s the worst thing about tech right now for a 7th grader?
- At what time in the day/evening/night do you usually take your last look at a screen?
- Track your mood: would you say you’re in a better mood, a worse mood, or no difference, after doing social media or video games?